Our First Illness

We made it 9 months without the little one getting sick. My husband and I both got sick this winter; I even had strep throat and a flu that left me in bed for three days, yet we managed to keep our daughter germ-free. Until now.

I am always teased by my family for being a germaphobe and having a baby has only increased my paranoia. However, I have had to relax somewhat since she entered the "everything must go in my mouth" phase. Sure enough, this week she developed a runny nose, followed by diarrhea and of course, a nasty diaper rash. Nothing can prepare you for the heartbreak of seeing your child cry when they go to the washroom because it burns their skin. I have stayed indoors pretty much all week wiping her nose and applying every diaper rash ointment under the sun. .

Before motherhood my life consisted of school, work and enjoying my easygoing life. I never would have thought that one day I would be overjoyed to open a diaper and see a normal stool. Likewise, I never expected to love my husband in a whole other way when I came home to find him panicked and our daughter in a lukewarm bath because she had cried when she peed and he didn't know what else to do.

I will let you in on a secret: we have no idea what we're doing. I laugh when my childless friends ask how I know what to do in each situation. I don't. I have my older sister on speed dial, I belong to Mommy groups, I read and I ask a lot of questions. Then I take what I have learned and make it work for my household. If it doesn't, I try another strategy, another type of food, another cream. I am happy to say that my baby girl is on the mend and I will probably have just enough time to catch my breath before she moves onto something else that puzzles me and the cycle starts again...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're Pregnant Again?!

And Baby Makes Five!

What Living Day-to-Day is Like for the Parent of a Child With CHD