A Letter to My Toddler

Hi Baby,
There is so much I want to say to you about your sister's birth so I thought I would write you this letter. First of all, Daddy and I love you so very much. The day you were born was one of the happiest of our lives and you have made us better people every single day since then. In fact, it is because you are so special that we wanted to have another baby.
Unfortunately, things did not go as we expected and we have had a difficult time since finding out you were going to have a sibling. Mommy had to go through a lot of tests and I cried...a lot. Most of the time I was able to hide it from you but not always. I'm so sorry you had to see me cry. I know it made you worried and sometimes you cried too which only made me feel worse. A mother's job is to protect her child and in that way, I feel like I failed you. Your job is to be a happy, healthy toddler and to play and be worry-free. I'm sorry if I made your job harder for you. I tried very hard to keep my sadness to myself. It's not that I don't want to be honest with you, but these are adult problems and you are just a little girl.
I also want to apologize in advance for what is about to happen. Daddy and I are going to be away from you for a little while so that we can take care of the baby. The doctors have promised us that they will fix her heart but I need to be with her when she's in the hospital. It is going to make me very sad to be away from you but Nonno, Nonna, your Zias, Grandma and Grandpa and your Auntie Steph are going to take good care of you while we're gone.
As soon as your sister is doing better you can come visit her. I don't want you to be afraid so you will have to wait a little bit longer to meet her than I would like. You can also come and see Mommy and Daddy anytime you miss us or we miss you. I don't know exactly how every day is going to go but we will make sure that we see each other as much as possible.
Please know that you have been a ray of sunshine through Mommy's sadness and you are the only reason I have been able to get through these last few months. Your smile makes me smile and your laugh is so infectious, I can't help but laugh too, even when I feel like crying.
I promise that although the next few weeks are going to be hard, we will be able to put it behind us and go back to being a normal family. I cannot wait for you to meet your sister. She is going to look up to you so much! I hope she has your compassion, your love of hugs and kisses, your dimples and your ability to make everyone smile. You are going to be the best big sister ever!

Love,
Mommy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're Pregnant Again?!

And Baby Makes Five!

What Living Day-to-Day is Like for the Parent of a Child With CHD