Mommy Wars

It seems like the moment I got pregnant is when the opinions came flying at me from friends, family and even complete strangers. Breast versus bottle feeding, attachment parenting versus CIO, what to do when your child has a tantrum, what to feed your child and whether or not to vaccinate. My daughter is almost 16 months and for her entire life I have been nodding politely while I listen to everyone tell me what they did or what they think I should do when what I really want to do is say, "mind your own business! My husband and I will raise our daughter OUR way!". 
I avoid confrontation at all costs but as time goes on, I find that I am a little braver everyday. Take today, for example. After our doctor's appointment, I decided to go to the drugstore quickly because it was right beside the doctor's office. I knew that my daughter was tired and wanted to nap but I really needed a couple of things and the thought of getting settled at home and then dragging her out of the house again later just made me tired. 
So I placed her in the shopping cart in search of the things I needed and proceeded to listen to her whine the entire time I was in the store. I was getting flustered, especially when I couldn't find one particular item and kept going up and down the same aisles repeating what I was looking for so that I wouldn't forget it while I was trying to stop my daughter from making those ear-piercing noises. Most of the men in the store smiled politely at me or just looked the other way but there were several women who gave me their best concerned face, or rolled their eyes, or just generally looked annoyed that my whiny kid was inconveniencing them. By the time I left the store, having forgotten half of what I went in for, I was sweating and flustered and just wanted to go home. 
I know I can't be the only mom who has needed to run an errand with an uncooperative child so why the nasty looks and attitudes? I wish women would stop judging and start banding together. When I have the luxury of shopping sans baby and I notice a mom struggling, I either offer to help or, at the very least, exchange a "been there, done that" look with the poor woman to let her know she's not alone. 

Maybe next time I should ask one of those women how they raised a child who never whined or had a tantrum (FYI, I am rolling my eyes at the mere thought).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're Pregnant Again?!

And Baby Makes Five!

What Living Day-to-Day is Like for the Parent of a Child With CHD